If you’re looking for a way to make a difference to this year’s presidential election, we may have found it for you.
Earlier this week, it was announced that a compilation album titled Good Music To Avert The Collapse Of American Democracy would be dropping tomorrow (September 4) via Bandcamp, apart of their Fridays Initiative. On the first Friday of every month since March, 100% of profits made through the website have been either 1) given directly to the artists or 2) gone to worthy causes that said artists have promoted.
On Friday, September 4 only, 100% of proceeds made by the sales of Good Music To Avert The Collapse Of American Democracy will be donated to Fair Fight, which is a voters rights organization “that promotes fair elections around the country through voter education, election reform, and combating voter suppression.”
The compilation album, featuring music from over 30 musicians, features a mix of never-before-heard songs, covers, remixes, and more from artists ranging from all sorts of genres. The project was executive produced by Dave Eggers, Jordan Kurland, Darius Zelkha, Christian Stavros, and Josh Rosenfield. Eggers and Kurland have developed multiple fundraising projects similar to this one in the past, including 30 Songs, 30 Days, 90 Days, 90 Reasons, and The Future Dictionary of America.
If you’re looking to support this cause even further, limited-edition signed posters of the artwork will also be sold today on Bandcamp. Proceeds will be going towards Color of Change, the country’s largest online racial justice organization.
Lots of the names featured on this project will look familiar to you, and many of them have been covered by Chicago Haze in the past! Some of those include Hayley Williams, Rostam, Soccer Mommy, Phoebe Bridgers, Sylvan Esso, and more.
Check out the entire tracklist below.
1. Hayley Williams – Colour Me In (Broadcast Cover)
2. Tycho x Ben Gibbard – Only Love Will Save This Place (Demo Version)
3. R.E.M. – Begin The Begin (Live in Hampton, VA 1989)
4. Matt Berninger – In Between Days (The Cure Cover)
5. Grouplove – Hardware Store
6. Rostam – Half-Light (Acoustic)
7. Soccer Mommy – Girl Next Door (Saving Jane Cover)
8. Flume x Eprom – Nor. 7
9. clipping. – Chapter 319 (Jonathan’s Full Stop Remix)
10. My Morning Jacket – Bring the Power Back Home
11. Sudan Archives – War
12. Helado Negro – Us Meeting Them
13. Death Cab for Cutie – The New Year (Live in Seattle, WA 2020)
14. Jeff Tweedy – Whisper
15. Sharon Van Etten – malibu, driving down the one (demo)
16. Weyes Blood – River (Joni Mitchell Cover)
17. Thurston Moore – L’Ephemere
18. The Decemberists – Death-Defying (Hoodoo Gurus Cover, Live in Australia 2016)
19. Tegan and Sara – God Help Yourself (Demo)
20. Best Coast – Our Deal (Live in Studio 2020)
21. Poolside x Todd Edwards – Getting There From Here (Instrumental)
22. Jamila Woods – HEAVN (Slot-A Remix)
23. Robin Pecknold – Hammond Song (The Roches Cover)
24. Beverly Glenn-Copeland – Dream On (1977 Studio Recording)/
25. Devendra Banhart – Taking a Page (Demo)
26. Phoebe Bridgers – Chinese Satellite (Voice Memo)
27. Real Estate – People’s Parties (Joni Mitchell Cover)
28. Sylvan Esso – Ferris Wheel (Live In-Studio)
29. Josh Ritter – Someday (In Progress)
30. Laura Jane Grace & The Devouring Mothers – Vancouver Divorce (Gord Downie Cover)
31. Alex G – Skull Eyes (True Widow Cover)
32. Frankie Cosmos – Another Piece
33. King Tuff – Evergreen (Demo)
34. Superchunk – Political Song for Michael Jackson to Sing (Minutemen Cover)
35. Jay Som – Time Off Work
36. Angel Olsen – All Mirrors (Johnny Jewel Chamber Remix)
37. Gilligan Moss – Ultraparadíso (Campfire Edit)
38. Bhi Bhiman – Takin’ It Easy
39. Courtney Barnett – Sunday Roast (Live in Estes Park, CO 2020)
40. Preservation Hall Jazz Band – One Hundred Fires (Live in Seattle, WA 2019)
Looking for other ways to make a difference during this year’s presidential election?
- Send handwritten notes to purple states through Postcards to Swing States’ program, which provides you with the postcards and the messaging. All you have to do is write, buy stamps, and send away.
- Become a poll worker. Attending the training session and election day are both paid opportunities, and this helps keep polling places open that otherwise may not stay open without workers volunteering their time.
- Send text to voters! Through Biden and Harris’ 2020 campaign, you can help mobilize voters. It includes a simple training session: check it out here.
- Volunteer through Headcount, a nonpartisan organization that encourages attendees of concerts and festivals to register to vote. They’re still operating, despite the lack of concerts and festivals happening this year.
Check out more on the album here.